Six Apply to Fill Barrett’s Spot on Douglas County Bench 3/26/19 03/26/19 11:51:17 AM
Printer Friendly Version
Six Apply to Fill Barrett’s Spot on Douglas County Bench
By Scott Stewart
The Daily Record
Six Douglas County lawyers have submitted their names for consideration for an appointment to the bench.
The applicants are seeking to fill a vacancy created by Douglas County Judge Lawrence E. Barrett, who retired
at the end of January. A public hearing will be held next month to solicit input and review their qualifications.
Those submitting their names for consideration are:
• Makayla S. Danner of Omaha, a senior attorney for the City of Omaha and adjunct faculty member at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
• Todd O. Engleman of Omaha, the managing attorney for the Nebraska Legal Group in Omaha.
• Beau G. Finley of Omaha, a solo practitioner at the Law Offices of Beau Finley PC LLO.
• Michael J. Fitzpatrick of Elkhorn, a solo practitioner at the Fitzpatrick Law Office.
• Grant A. Forsberg of Omaha, a solo practitioner at Forsberg Law PC LLO.
• Steven J. Twohig of Elkhorn, a solo practitioner at Twohig Law LLC.
The Judicial Nominating Commission for the 4th Judicial District County Court will hold a public hearing April 11, beginning at 9:30 a.m. in Courtroom 501 at the Douglas County Courthouse, 1701 Farnam St. in Omaha. The commission will review the applicants at that meeting, and the public will have an opportunity to present information concerning the candidates for the judicial opening.
The commission – made up of four attorney members, four lay members and a nonvoting chairman, Justice John R. Freudenberg – will determine afterwards which candidates to recommend to Gov. Pete Ricketts for the appointment.
Here is a closer look at each of the six applicants, according to the application materials they submitted that were obtained by The Daily Record:
• Danner is a 2001 graduate of the University of Iowa College of Law. She previously has worked as an adjunct faculty member for Kaplan University in Council Bluffs, a corporate manager and attorney for Commercial Federal Bank in Omaha and a research assistant for the UI College of Law.
• Engleman is a 2001 graduate of the Creighton University School of Law. He previously worked as an associate
attorney at Kathleen Schmidt Law Office in Omaha, an associate general counsel at Waite, McWha & Heng in North Platte and a chief deputy county attorney and deputy county attorney for Lincoln County in North Platte.
• Finley is a 1996 graduate of the Nebraska College of Law. He previously worked as an attorney at Davis & Finley Law Office and in the Douglas County Public Defender’s Office.
• Fitzpatrick is a 2000 graduate of the Creighton University School of Law. He previously worked in the Omaha City Prosecutor’s Office, Douglas County Public Defender’s Office, State of Iowa Public Defender’s Office and Woodbury County Attorney’s Office in Sioux City, Iowa.
• Forsberg is a 2002 graduate of the Creighton University School of Law. He previously worked as president and founding partner of Forsberg & Jolly Law PC LLO in Omaha and an associate attorney and law clerk at Dwyer, Smith, Gardner, Lazer, Pohren, Rogers and Forrest LLP in Omaha. He also spent 11 years prior to practicing law as an employee of Union Pacific Railroad.
• Twohig is a 2001 graduate of the Nebraska College of Law. He previously worked as the Saunders County Attorney in Wahoo, a senior associate at Kozeny & McCubbin LC in Omaha and an associate attorney
at Donald D. Schneider PC in Fremont.