The Omaha Bar Association offers its Lawyer Referral Service for anyone looking to find a private practicing attorney in Douglas, Sarpy, Cass and Washington counties. All attorneys are in good standing to practice law in Nebraska.

The Nebraska State Bar Association also offers Nebraska Find-a-Lawyer for anyone looking to find a Nebraska attorney. The website includes tools to search for attorneys who charge $50 or less for the first 30 minutes of consultation, attorneys who offer limited scope/modest means legal services, free self-help legal guides and low-income legal services.

The Nebraska Supreme Court Attorney Service offers a Lawyer Search to find a specific attorney in Nebraska or all attorneys licensed to practice in a given county. The Nebraska State Bar Association also offers an Attorney Directory of its members who are active and in good standing.

For those who lack adequate financial resources to pay for legal services, free and lower-price options may be available:

  • The Nebraska Volunteer Lawyers Project is the pro bono program of the Nebraska State Bar Association for civil cases. 
  • Legal Aid of Nebraska is a nonprofit law firm that provides legal representation to underprivileged citizens. Apply for help online or call 402-348-1060 or 1-877-250-2016 between 8:30 and 11:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays or between 1 and 4 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Other hotlines are available for those seeking who are assistance following a diaster, live in a rural setting, are eldery, are Native American, have delevelopmental disabilities and are agricultural workers. 
  • Creighton University School of Law supports the Milton R. Abrahams Legal Clinic to serve Douglas County residents falling within federal poverty guidelines. To apply, call 402-280-3068 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays.
  • University of Nebraska College of Law offers a Civil Law Clinic that primarily serves Lancaster County for a wide variety of civil cases for eligable low-income Nebraska residents. To apply, call 402-472-3271 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays.

The Nebraska Judicial branch offers a Nebraska Online Legal Self-Help Center that offers resources on a variety of issues, such as how to represent yourself in court, where to find court dates, how to pay finds and what you need to know before going to court.

Free walk-in self-help services are also available:

  • The Nebraska Volunteer Lawyers Project offers a Self Help Center in Douglas County Courthouse, 17th and Farnam streets, across from the law library at the Harney Street level. Hours are Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and the first Friday of the month from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
  • Legal Aid of Nebraska offers an Access to Justice Clinic in Omaha at 209 S. 19th St., Suite 200, on Mondays through Wednesdays from 1 to 4 p.m.
  • Legal Aid of Nebraska offers an Access to Justice Clinic in Lincoln at 940 O St., Suite 325, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 1 to 4 p.m.
  • Other VLP Self-Help Centers are also available in Kearney (Buffalo County), Grand Island (Hall County), Kimball (Kimball County), Madison (Madison County) and Scottsbluff (Scotts Bluff County).

The American Bar Association, with the support of state bar associations, offers its Free Legal Answers service that provides virtual legal advice for qualifying persons. Find specific information for Nebraska residents and Iowa residents, or use the national website for further details.

Immigrants looking for help can call the Nebraska Immigration Legal Assistance Hotline at 1-855-307-6730 between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. The hotline makes referals to Catholic Charities, Centro Hispano Comunitario de Nebraska, Immigrant Legal Center, Women's Center for Advancement, Lutheran Family Services and the Center for Legal Immigration Assistance.

Disabled persons looking for help, or their guardian or other authorized representative, can call Disability Rights Nebraska at 402-474-3183 or 800-422-6691 between 8 a.m. and noon Mondays through Fridays. Assistance can also be requested online.

Nebraska Appleseed offers referrals, legal information and supportive advice upon submission of an online request. Nebraska Appleseed focuses its litigation on systemic issues, so it does not typically handle individual representation cases.

User login

Omaha Daily Record

The Daily Record
3323 Leavenworth Street
Omaha, Nebraska
United States

Tele (402) 345-1303
Fax (402) 345-2351